"History is a nightmare from which I'm trying to awake." - James Joyce

Monday, January 28, 2013

Amazing Spiral Galaxy M51

Slate's Phil Plaitt posted new pictures of the spiral galaxy M51 which combine pictures from the Hubbel and Spitzer space telescopes. It is amazingly beautiful and awe-inspiring. I love galaxies: they are big and so far away and so numerous that they just overwhelm me with the power and majesty of the Cosmos. The picture here combines, to my mind, aspects of religious, philosophy, science, and art. Truly, the universe, in its vast beauty and wonder, puts our small and petty concerns and problems in perspective, and it also provides a counter-balance to the absurdity of organized religion and its dogmas and stupid prejudices. I love science!


And be sure to click here to embiggen the above image: it's well worth it...(and be sure to look closely to find distant galaxies in the picture).

No comments:

Post a Comment