"History is a nightmare from which I'm trying to awake." - James Joyce

Friday, October 12, 2012

The Debate

I don't usually watch the debates in election years, but this time around things seem to be heating up, so I sat through last night's vice-presidential debate with a couple of friends. Of course, I'm a supporter of President Obama, so I was dismayed at his poor performance last week against the glib, sales job of the Rombot, and hoped that Biden would show some backbone in defending his administration's accomplishments and taking down the lies and evasions of the Republican ticket. Well, I wasn't disappointed: Biden more than came through. Yes, there are those who are complaining about his demeanor, his interruptions, etc., but I say it's about time we had a genuine response to the republican ticket's false campaign and Big Lie tactics. I especially liked how Biden called out Ryan's dishonesty (about taxes and foreign policy, for instance) and finally dinged him on the 47% quote, going up to the line without actually calling him a liar. Ryan seemed programmed and out of his depth, although he didn't let Biden's antics rattle him (how do you rattle a robot?).

The only moment I thought he was being genuine was when he was asked to respond to abortion as a Roman Catholic. He admitted that he believes that life begins at the moment of conception. How, then, can he reconcile that with his stated position that the Romney-Ryan ticket believes in exceptions? He claims a "principle" and yet is willing to abandon it to get elected. In the past he has articulated a "no exceptions" policy. I guess this shows that he (and Romney) will do anything to get elected, and that things will probably change once they get into office (i.e., a no abortion under any circumstances policy - too bad rape victims!).

 I don't know what effect this will have on the election, but I do know it will stop the bleeding among Democrats. Now, if only Obama will come through next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment